Elementary School
School Begins at Home
We want every child to experience success at school, and you can help your child do so. Getting their day off to a good start is one of the best things you can do for him/her. You can also become actively involved at Binns by participating in the parent teacher association (PTA), by volunteering to assist with special events and school projects and/or as a reading tutor. Above all else, tell your child when he/she is doing a good job. Praise him/her for good efforts and good behavior at school!
Study Trips
Study trips (field trips) are academic activities that are held off school grounds. Prior to a trip, teachers will send home information which outlines the purpose of the trip, the cost per student, lunch arrangements, necessary supplies, dress code and departure/return times. Parents will also be asked to sign a permission slip for their child to attend. It is imperative that students return the signed parental permission slip prior to the study trip. Without this written permission, students will not be permitted to go on the trip and will remain at school. Teachers will notify parents if there is a need for chaperones. Students' siblings will not be permitted on study trips. Chaperones will need to provide their own transportation as they cannot ride the school bus.
Parties at School/Shared Food
As part of the district's wellness initiative, state mandates, and to be mindful of medical conditions of our students, food cannot be distributed as rewards, snacks, treats, birthdays, etc.  In addition, candy or non-nutritive foods cannot be sold during the school day as well as before or after school in which students are a part of a school sponsored activity/program. The school will have designated parties/events throughout the school year in which food items will be served. Information will be sent home for such events, and donations may be requested at that time.
To celebrate a child's birthday at school, please make prior arrangements with the teacher to bring/send in non-food items. The teacher can suggest appropriate items for the students and/or classroom.
Invitations to private parties may not be distributed at school. The school cannot provide you with home addresses or phone numbers of classmates.
Parent Portal
Contact Information
When parents and families are involved in their child's education, academic achievement improves.

Parent Consultant

For more information about volunteering in the classroom, special monthly events or to help in the library, please contact our parent consultant at 614-365-5911 or request a parent volunteer survey from the office.
Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
Our PTA meets on the second Wednesday of each month from 5:30pm-6:30pm in the Binns library. Memberships are $5 and can be purchased before every meeting. For more information and to download a membership form please visit the PTA website at
Section 504 Information
Section 504 is a federal law designed to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities and requires public school districts to provide a free appropriate public education to each qualified student within the school district. Click on this link for the CCS Section 504 Manual containing policies, guidelines and forms and to learn more about 504 services.

Get information about Avalon Elementary

Visit the District’s Fast Facts and click on our school.

Principal - Joel Grant
(614) 365-5911  |   1080 Binns Blvd. Columbus, OH 43204
Quick-Edit Login